One of the most popular ways of reducing stress is through breathing exercises. These exercises are easy-to-do and very effective. They won’t take too much of your time either. Here is a look at a couple of good breathing exercises that you can try out for stress relief.
Simple breathing Exercise – This exercise is easy. Here is how you can do this:
- Be in a relaxed sitting or standing position
- Inhale through your nose and while inhaling count up to five
- Exhale from the mouth and while exhaling count up to ten.
Repeat this exercise ten times.
Pranayama – This yoga breathing exercise is very effective for reducing stress, tension and nervousness. Here is a very simple version of this breathing exercise.
- Sit in an upright position, with your legs folded. Your hand must be placed in a relaxed way on your lap.
- Take a deep breath. While you inhale, pull out your belly and heave your chest. Stomach muscles must be taut.
- As you hold your breath, count up to five.
- Exhale. While exhaling, relax your abdominal muscles.
Repeat this exercise after a two second gap. When your concentration levels are good, you achieve good results with this breathing exercise. You can start out by doing it in a couple of minutes, every day and then increasing the time to about 10 minutes a day.
Karate breathing Meditation – This breathing exercise is very simple and will take just a couple of minute’s time. Here is how to do this.
- Sit comfortably. When doing this exercise, most karate artist follow the seiza position, which is sitting with knees out and legs tucked to the behind.
- Once seated, shoulders must be relaxed, head up, and back straight. Your eyes should be focused ahead.
- Take a deep breath through your nose and while doing so expand your belly. Hold your breath to the count of six.
Exhale through your mouth.
Repeat this exercise twice and then breathe normally. While breathing normally focus your attention on your breathing.
Deep Breathing – This is also a very easy breathing exercise. Here is how to do it:
- Take a slow deep breath through your nostrils. While doing so, focus on your belly and imagine it to be a balloon that you are inflating with your breath.
- After you have taken in air as much as you can, hold your breath for a few seconds
- Exhale breath through the mouth and while doing so imagine that you are deflating your belly.
Repeat this exercise 10 times or more.
Doing simple breathing exercises is one of the best ways of reducing stress. It is just right for people who are really busy and who don’t have the time to go to work-outs or do extensive exercising to relieve daily stress. By following any one of the above-mentioned breathing exercises, you will find yourself to feel more fit, energetic and calm.